In Midwest, some faux meat dishes are prepared using jackfruit, which is even found in Asian stores and look like a giant green eyesore. But I wasn’t aware that its texture mimics meat and it can even absorb any flavor you put in it.
While searching for some new recipes that could be experimented with jackfruit. I came across this amazing recipe that has changed my outlook for this weird looking fruit in a good way. The recipe is called Barbecue Jackfruit Sandwiches. Being a barbecue lover, how could I skip something that has some smokey flavor in it. So, I decided to give it a try and it’s really delicious and you can definitely try making it at home for your family or friends for some get-together.
Here are the ingredients that you require:
2 cups water-packed jackfruit from a can or pouch, drained
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons olive oil or other vegetable oil
1 cup medium spicy or spicy barbecue sauce
2 cups coleslaw or fresh kale leaves
4 large rolls
- Firstly, you need to completely dry out the jackfruit. After that trim and discard its tough sections, and place the remaining soft part in a medium bowl.
- Now in another bowl, mix smoked paprika, garlic powder, chili powder, onion powder and brown sugar. Once all these ingredients are a mix, add this seasoning to jackfruit while gently stirring together seasoning and jackfruit.
- Next step is to heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add oil to the pan and then add the jackfruit into the heated oil. Saute the jackfruit until it turns light brown.
- Add the barbecue sauce to the pan while stirring the sauce and the jackfruit. You can reduce the heat from medium to low, and cover the pan and let it simmer for about 20 minutes. After that, add some water if the mixture seems to be a little thick. Keep stirring the jackfruit occasionally and use two forks to shred it as it’s cooking.
- The final step is to split the rolls to make sandwich buns. Spread the jackfruit among bottom halves of buns. For toppings, use ¼ to ½ cup slaw or fresh kale leaves. Now you can serve it with extra barbecue sauce and hot sauce.
Your guests are definitely going to ask you for this recipe after they’ve finished all the sandwiches.